New CO/LP detector, toilet

As usual, the CO/LP detector did not go off until 1AM.  Sure is noisy at that time of night!  Anyway, since the life cycle of these devices is 5 years, and our coach is now 4 years old, thought it would be prudent to replace it.  So here it is, a brand spanking new (manufacture date March 2019) CO/LP detector.

Also, the Thetford toilets are quite water frugal and work great in an RV setting. But the ball that seals the opening is quite sensitive to dirt and aggressive cleaning. Ours was starting to leak down so I installed a new ball and seal. Should be good for another 5 years or so.

New windshield

Our trip from Michigan to Portland was a pleasant one.  No issues, the coach worked flawlessly.  Until we headed south from Portland on I-5, when some large object smashed into our windshield.  It left a target shaped crack, high in the middle of the glass.  So the best part was that the damage was outside our field of vision.

We were lucky in anther way, but RVGlass.. the largest RV Glass place and supplier to Entegra for all their windshields.. was located in Coburg, near Eugene.  So only an hour or so from our camp site in Florida.  And yet more luck… Geico covered the full replacement cost.

So now we have a nice, new clean windshield.  Hope it stays that way….

That “bullseye” is about 6″ across
Nice new windshield!

Tornado in Coldwater

About 5AM we were woken by a terrific noise and shaking of our motor home. We immediately got up and pulled in the slides, but we heard some banging on the roof. Wasn’t much we could do until it got light the next morning.

With the light it was obvious some serious winds had come through the area. Picnic tables destroyed and scattered through the park, heavy grills blown over, and our driver side awning was pulled loose. Fortunately everything else missed us, nearby building had their roofs torn off.

But we were fortunate. The slide topper had been pulled loose, but no damage otherwise. I was lucky to find a mobile RV repair crew who got the spring wound up and the topper re-installed. We dodged a bullet this time…

The more the merrier

We stopped in Michigan to visit our friends Dick and Nancy Akers (Mountain Aire), who live in Coldwater.  Also at the park were the Cooks (Cornerstone) and the Kerchers (Allegro bus).  The weather was abnormally cold and wet, so we moved our activities indoor to our coach.  With our fireplace on, and soft music from the Bose system, it was most pleasant and warm.  We didn’t even need to run our Aquahot, this coach has some most impressive insulation!

For dinner Romola made Taco soup, and we had six people seated comfortably.  We did use some TV trays but it worked fine.  The next night everyone was at our place for some discussions and drinks.  No problem seating 8 people comfortably.  The Aspire did well, even with all the other high priced coaches there!

Slide motor repair

I noticed the the curb side front slide motor was getting loose, enough so that I was worried about it possible breaking.  The lag bolts holding the motor bracket had actually pulled the subfloor loose due to the high stresses in this design. I did manufacture a support for the bracket but it didn’t hold as well as I liked. So I had it checked at NIRVC and they built a new metal frame so the motor will never get loose again.

Only problem was this repair was not covered by warranty as it hadn’t actually broken.  So I had to pay $1,700 for the repair, however, that’s better than possibly actually breaking somewhere on the road when it would be most inconvenient.

My first attempt to reinforce the motor mount bracket

NIRVC fabricated a bracket (not visible) that is welded to the two stringers

New radiator, compressor

As mentioned, our radiator started leaking.  So this was replaced by NIRVC under my extended warranty.  Good thing I had it, this saved me some $4,000.  The only costs to me were shipping and some consumables, totaling some $250.

Also, I have been having problems with my dash air.  Inspection showed that the compressor had bad bearings, putting too much load on the system.  So this too was replaced under warranty.  Again, only costs were for oil and consumables, under $100.

Poor picture, but there is is… a new radiator!
And a brand new compressor. Dash air works great now!