Because of COVID-19, we are pretty well rooted to our site in Sanger, TX. It’s an OK site, although a bit muddy when it rains (like right now). We’re only 10 minutes north of Denton so we have access to all the stores, restaurants and medical facilities we need.
We have plenty of shades trees, including a nice big one in front. Except yesterday we had a sudden storm come through with wind gusts up to 70 MPH. One came through here when we were outside. Almost blew us over, and blew a lot of dust and debris around. And it snapped off a big branch on our front shade tree.
Fortunately, it totally missed our coach. Close, but no damage at all. We could use some good luck, and we got it! The park owners were right on the spot and removed the branch so that won’t whip around on us. But I got picture before it was removed….
It’s not often that you need to have a tire pressure monitor, but when you do, it is critical. I had three times in the past 12 years when it saved me a lot of trouble and expense. But my system was getting old, so I replaced mine a new one. You don’t need to remove valve caps to add air, and the display is much more readable, even in direct light.
And although my coach has a very fine GPS built in, I’ve gotten to really appreciate Google maps and in particular Waze. It gives much better info as it is updated constantly. So I used one of my old phones which had a big screen and dedicated it to navigation. Now I use the dash navigation for the overall picture and Waze for immediate surroundings. Even warns me of objects in the road, and pending traffic issues. Cool!
We happened to be near Nacogdoches, TX and scheduled a full service at Motor Homes of Texas. Not cheap, but these guys know motor homes and how to maintain them. Had the full service, including oil change and filters, all fluid levels, new timing and AC belts, setting ride hight… we got it all.
Late last summer we damaged the bottom edge of three of the passenger side bay doors. See the blog for more detail, but suffice it to say that although the damage was purely cosmetic you know it’s gonna cost. Especially when you want the top guy, and that is Xtreme Graphics in Nacagdoches, TX. Problem is, they are so busy you have to wait 6 months or so to get in. So we made an appointment for January of this year.
Dropped the coach off, and picked it up a week later. They still do things the old fashioned way, that is, hand labor and top materials (the paint used is the same as Porsche and Mercedes use). They did a perfect job of matching the colors, you can’t tell that 4 doors have been repainted. And they duplicated the curved bottoms perfectly. We still have to go back one mor time to have the last door aligned, but other than that, we’re good to go.
About 5AM we were woken by a terrific noise and shaking of our motor home. We immediately got up and pulled in the slides, but we heard some banging on the roof. Wasn’t much we could do until it got light the next morning.
With the light it was obvious some serious winds had come through the area. Picnic tables destroyed and scattered through the park, heavy grills blown over, and our driver side awning was pulled loose. Fortunately everything else missed us, nearby building had their roofs torn off.
But we were fortunate. The slide topper had been pulled loose, but no damage otherwise. I was lucky to find a mobile RV repair crew who got the spring wound up and the topper re-installed. We dodged a bullet this time…
We had an excellent summer, traveling to Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and back to Dallas. The coach worked well but there were some little improvements I felt we could make. Making some use of non travel time…
The pantry is way too dark, even with the hall lights on. So I added LED lights that turn on and off when you open/close the pantry door. Much better!
The radio had a noisy cooling fan. The unit worked fine, just noisy. So I got a brand new radio and installed it. Same radio as in the 2019 Cornerstones…. While we’re at it, we also replaced the switcher for the rear monitor. It was noisy and would occasionally beep, which was irritating, especially at night. It’s now fixed.
The old wet bay used a flexible hose to send the water from the reel to the coach. Every time you wanted to backflush, you needed to hook up a separate water line. And it needed to be pressure regulated.
So I moved the pressure regulator inside the wet bay, replumbed the water, and added two valves… one as a main water supply valve and one for flushing the black tank. I added a second check valve to preclude any chance of black tank contents getting into the fresh water lines. Much simpler hookup, much simpler black tank flush.