The old wet bay used a flexible hose to send the water from the reel to the coach. Every time you wanted to backflush, you needed to hook up a separate water line. And it needed to be pressure regulated.
So I moved the pressure regulator inside the wet bay, replumbed the water, and added two valves… one as a main water supply valve and one for flushing the black tank. I added a second check valve to preclude any chance of black tank contents getting into the fresh water lines. Much simpler hookup, much simpler black tank flush.
Although the fix I made on the wiper arm looked to be OK, I decided that getting a new one would be better. Got the part number from Entegra (0246790), ordered it locally, and installed it. Did torque it down to the specified 65 ft. lbs.
This coach only has one cargo tray, and I was used to having two. Since we are in Elkhart, and MorRyde (cargo tray manufacturer) is here, this as an excellent time to get an extra one. Drove over to the MorRyde facilities and they installed one. Now all I have to do is re-organize for the additional pullout tray.
This week we added two items for safety and convenience.
First, we installed SnapPads. These are pads made from recycled tires and fit snugly on the leveling jack pads. They help distribute the weight, give better ground contact (especially on softer soil) and even provide some electrical isolation during thunderstorms. But the biggest benefit is no more on the hands and knees to place wood and other pads under the jacks.
Then we had Pro Tire in Denton install the Safe-T-Plus. This helps dramatically in case of a front tire blowout, as it helps prevent the coach suddenly pulling to the side of the blowout. And it helps keep th coach straight on the highway with less impact from wind and passing trucks.
The gust of wind from an opposing large truck on a 2 lane road in the rain and our driver side windshield wiper was twisted loose. It actually stripped the splines on the wiper shaft, making re-mounting it impossible. Since a new wiper arm is hard to get, especially in the middle of New Mexico, I drilled and tapped opposing holes in the wiper arm hub and used two set screws to keep the arm in place. Works fine now, may not even need a new arm!
Entegras have a reputation for poor shade motors, and our night shade motor showed why. It won’t come back up anymore, just hums. Guess I’ll just use some Velcro to keep the shade up until I can get a new motor.
The first drive we had in warm weather showed a problem… no dash AC. Called Spartan, they said it was still under warranty and NIRVC could fix it. Since I also had a (very) noisy fan motor, thought I would have that fixed at the same time. They worked me in while we were in Ireland.
I had a reservation for a full chassis check at Spartan, but NIRVC was more than happy to do this. And that would save me a long drive. And, as long as it is in the shop, maybe also fix:
The step doesn’t always go out smoothly
Check the toppers on the driver side
Replace the lost front hubcap
Adjust the limit switch on the main awning
While in Ireland received an email that Spartan would not cover the AC as it was a leak and therefore an Entegra issue. Projected cost for all the above was about $2,800. Well can’t live without AC in Texas, so approval for all the repair was given. Fortunately, my Good Sam Extended warranty cover much of it but I have a high deductible (my choice) so this cost me $1,700 out of pocket. Hopefully this will be the last unscheduled shop visit…
The coach came with Goodyear G670 tires. The rears are 275/80R22.5, which have not had any significant problems. However, the front were the infamous G670 295/80R22.5 tires. These are known to have problems, and have a reputation of blowouts even when they were young.
So for safety’s sake we replaced them with Michelin X Coach HL tires. These are more expensive, but are known to be more reliable. Plus they have an additional 1,000 lbs or so carrying capacity. Not cheap, but then safety has no price.
The Aquahot quit working, and on inspection a circulation pump had gone bad. Very common problem, pump replaced under warranty. Took it to my friend Rudy Legett who replaced the pump with one of the new Buehler pumps, much better quality. Now both pumps are Buehlers.
Some smaller things. Added a small slide tray in the front bay so I can have easier access to my tool box. Moved the subwoofer from the dinette to behind the fireplace (lots of space there!). Added a wine rack where the subwoofer was.